Thursday, October 7, 2010

Custom Famous Covers Thing

There's a guy in the UK named Nick who, back in the day, took Toy Biz Famous Covers action figures and customized the shit out of them. And man, he customized a lot of them. Even more impressive was the fact that the guy did such great work. Check out his custom Thing, above. Here's a link to his website which is still running.

I did custom figures like these back in 1999-2000 with the help of my wife. I designed the characters, sourced the materials and sculpted the heads, and she sewed the costumes. She did an amazing job on the sewing, just amazing. The figures weren't too shabby, actually. We sold them for an average of $100 each. Characters I remember doing included Black Panther, Luke Cage, Blizzard, Firebrand, Doctor Octopus, Tarantula, The Shocker, The Jackal, Morbius, Punisher, Carrion and Molten Man. One day I got an email from a doctor who wanted us to make him a custom Nova... and he was willing to pay something like $225 for it! I spent hours and hours fine-tuning this thing to perfection and sent it off for his approval. When he received it he was absolutely thrilled.

In any case, at one point I'll try to dig up some pics of the FCs we did, and post them here on the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey great seeing this figure! I think I remember seeing it on a board I used to be a part of back in the early 2000's. Do you have any old links still that might be of use? I'm trying to research and find more information about the customizing of Famous Covers again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete