Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In-N-Out Burger: And God Said Let There Be Tasty Animals

In the world of fast food, companies like Taco Bell, McDonald's and all the others seem hell-bent on coming up with the latest trendy new food items. One fast food chain keeps it simple. One fast food chain refuses to be like everybody else. In-N-Out Burger.

Wanna see just how simple? Here's their menu:

In-N-Out makes three things: burgers, fries, and drinks. And that's it. No friggin' apple pies, chicken nuggets, snack wraps, or any of that kind of crap. Nope -- just meat, potatoes, and something to wash it down with. You have to admire a fast food chain that sticks to its guns for sixty years.

Do you think the food in this photo looks tasty? You have no idea how tasty it is until you eat it! The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. And this chain sticks to what it does best: it makes great tasting burgers. The meat is brought in fresh daily. All of the vegetables are cut by hand. The fries are always hand chopped, deep fried, and then rolled in white cotton towels where they are de-greased. Not 100% de-greased, mind you -- we wouldn't want that -- just somewhat de-greased.

Man, I loves me some In-N-Out Burger. I lived in California for eight years and I swear to this day I still get cravings.

In-N-Out delivers the goods. This is very tasty fast food and tens of thousands have enjoyed it since 1949. But there is one thing about In-N-Out that most people do not know. I'm talking about the secret, hidden religious markings.

As I discovered one day while eating a Double-Double -- that's what they call their double cheeseburger -- on my patio in West L.A., there are some strange markings on In-N-Out's food wrappers and containers. I was on the phone, talking to a friend about my recent visit to E3 (Electronics Entertainment Expo), and I happened to look down at the underside of my cup. There it was:

An actual religious reference! So I was like, "Dude, what the hell... you ever see these religious markings on In-N-Out's food?" My friend, a California native, responded that he had no idea what I was talking about. He had eaten at In-N-Out countless times and never noticed. I added, "Dude... it's on everything, even the wrappers!"

I looked it up.

Nahum 1:7—"The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him."

And this is what it says on the cheeseburger wrappers:

Revelation 3:20—"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me."

To me, this meant that maybe, just maybe, God isn't mad at us for eating his tasty animals!

In any event, I would easily put an In-N-Out burger on my top 5 list of best hamburgers. And I've eaten a lot of hamburgers, let me tell you. So good and so successful is In-N-Out, rumor has it that for decades, the McDonald's corporation has offered to buy the company on many occasions. Supposedly, In-N-Out's private owners have flatly refused every single time.

So if you're ever driving down the street in California, Nevada, Arizona or Utah, and you see this sign...

... pull off the road and get some. Then, and only then, will you know the true meaning of the phrase "People Eating Tasty Animals." And remember: It's okay to eat tasty animals! God said so!
Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i STILL crave in-n-out after 6 years of not living in LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally did not know in-n-out dries their fries with a towel after frying. that's brilliant. and i'm sure you know this, but they have a secret menu that's not so secret:

    http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

    also, in case you never heard about this--you know how at in-n-out you can order (# of patties x # slices of cheese, as in 2x2)? well, some asian kids done done me proud:

    http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20060125050438458

    enjoyed the blog. thanks and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete